Thursday, September 6, 2007

First Day of Academic Classes and 2nd Day of Studio

So yesterday was my first day of academic classes. I really didn't like my first teacher. But then that is to be expected. But I think I'm just gonna try to bare through it. I'll try to think of it as a challenge. It's writing the essay: art and the world. Currently I have two mini essays going on. I have to find a piece of art this weekend to sit in front of for about an hour and make observations on. But then I have to go back to it multiple times in the next two months or so. I also went to that Richard Serra thing at MoMA. I have to write a paper in reaction to that by Sept 17. I think I'm going to do it one weekday next week. So I can kinda spread out my workload.

I also have the beginning workings of another paper in my ITS (Intro into Theatre Studies) class. It's on this book by Plato. I have to start reading it tonight. For a half an hour to an hour. Maybe in the common room.

After lunch with Jewlie and hanging out for a bit. Jewlie, Kelly, Sophie, Fabi and I went to go check out some cool vintage stores on 7th street around 2nd and 1st avenue. I had looked it up online and they turned out to be super cool. I don't know really how to describe them. One was vintage toys, memorbila, and clothes. Another was consingment high fashion. Some made their own clothes. Some did both. They are really cool. I bought a necklace at AuH2O which is owned by a graduate of NYU named Kate Goldwater (get the title of the store?). It's a tiny cameo on this silver industrial looking chain. I also got a hat at this one of a kind hat store that was full of hats and headdresses that nearly made me cry at this pretty-ness. It's a green and brown tweed newsboy cap with a leather strap across it for only $42. My cameo necklace was $16.25.
Lastly we went by Urban Outfitters where I bought a decroative plate for my desk at only $12.








___________________________________________

So I tried to sign up for a reserved spot (tickets are free for me) at the adler show's Independance and Glengarry but all the weekend shows are completely booked with a long wait list. I didn't mind really. It means that both will have a full house which is what I was partly going for and the other part is to see good theatre but surprisingly that's not hard to find in New York City. Surprise Surprise. There is a production of Cymbeline this weekend and it's free and it's shakespearE! but I think i shouldn't strecth myself so I'm just gonna go ahead and blow it off.

Today though, I walked to Adler. I say I walked because apperently people take the subway. I don't know, it seems kinda expensive to me. Plus it's about a mile and a half for the whole roundtrip and it's really good exersice. I also get to see alot of that area of the city which is completly different from the village. Much more city like. I walk through Union Square on the trip to and from but on the trip to I go up Broadway which is shorter than Fifth Avenue but I take fifth back because it's a less crowded street and there is much more interesting things to see.

At Adler we had an hour meeting with Jason Little (the head of student affairs/dean). Policies procedures, etc etc. Then the artistic director, tom oppenheim came and talked. The head of acting for NYU gave a cool speech. He introduced all the first year teachers. Etc etc.

Jason also gave us a chance to sign up for different crews. One of the second year students expressly told me that crew is a good karma thing and gets you in good with everyone. So I'm planning on doing on of the big shows each semester and then whatever little projects I can fit in. I decided on the latest one (even though it is near the stressful end of the semester period). It's on the third year NYU adler student's show. It's also a classical (another plus).

Then a handful of second year Adler kids came by and did a little Q&A.

It was mingling and some soda and pizza. Then a two and a half slighty boring, extermely tedious master class by my scene study teacher Alice.

After which I leisurely walked back, grabbed a two mintue shower, threw on some eye makeup and a dress and was off!









Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket






We took the subway up to Byrant Park. It's really imposing at first because you walk to the front and there are all these photographers waiting for celebrities to pop up and there are like eight security guards at the top of the stairs. And there are all these people on the sides of the stairs because they can't block the stairway or security will like start yelling at them.

Anyway we were kinda stuck. We didn't have seat assingments (or standing ones) and we didn't know if we had to go somewhere to get those before hand or inside or what. Anywho. I saw another woman flip out something that looked like our invite and I gathered the girls and headed the pack up. Flipped my invite and was in!





Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket






It's very pretty. There is this huge fountation floral thing in the middle and each sponsor has a little booth. You get all these free issues of fashion magazines. In the lycra booth (well I say booth loosely, it's more like a mini room with no fourth wall), if you acted interested for a couple seconds you got free mascara. There were free drinks courtesey of MAC. A Moet Lounge. And a bunch of other booths. So finally I went up to a desk that looked official and we got in the line (grouping) to get our seating assignments. We stood in line for 20-30 mins and got the open admission sticker (standing in the back). In line I saw this girl standing off to the side were the people with tickets were standing. It was Nik, the runner up from America's Next Top Model cycle 5! But she walked off before I could take a decent picture. We then stood in this other line and waited for all the people with seats to sit before we could find a place to stand. When we walked in we got ushered to the left side of the stage and stood pretty much in the middle. It was crowded even in all the standing areas but we could all see. At the end of the runway is not like three cameras. It's a freaking wall of photographers and cameras. Like 60 or 70 minimum. It was freaky.





Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket





Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket





Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket














So the show started with a remix of Wind It Up by Gwen Stefani and all the girls walked. That's when I spotted him! Nigel Barker! I knew it was him because he had the best seat: center front row.










Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket







Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket






All the clothes were swimsuits or swim cover ups and were really pretty. In the middle of the show my camera died but it was ok because everyone else was taking tons of pictures. There were actually some pretty reconisable faces (models) in the show and all had a really good walk. The music was awesome! And loud! It made the whole tent vibrate. The show was pretty long. Most are about 12-15 mins. But this one was at least twenty.




Check out my video (including Nigel):



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KUcCIGSOww





-Side Note: I found another blog that explains the actual show a little better than I do:




http://teenscenemag.com/publish/ -







After the show was over everyone started leaving to go off the bleachers on the stairs but I knew better. I grabbed Jewlie and shoved my way down to the catwalk (you can walk across the runway after the show, it's not like a faux pas or anything). I got about twenty feet away from Nigel Barker. But I made sure to keep an eye on him. I was goint to try and take a picture with him but he was really in a rush it seemed. So finally when I forced my way up (with Jewlie in tow) to his side I complimented his photography and he said thank you. He is actually really tall in person. I'm 5'5" and I was wearing heels and he was still taller than me.




Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket







Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket







So we kinda stalked him on the way out. All the way down the stairs, out of the tent and to the crosswalk where we stopped and waited by the sidewalk for the other girls to come out.




Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket





Patricia as the first out. She said that she got to take a picture of Nik. Apperently she got in the show after all and was walking out. I was kinda dissapointed but I talked to Nigel so that was cool. So I asked Patricia if she would like to go around to the back to see if any of the models were coming out. Well we were walking and Patricia says, "That's her!" It was Nik. She was walking right ahead of us.

Well, obviously I wanted a picture with her but I couldn't just go up behind her and tap her on the should saying NIK OMG! PLEASE TAKE A PICTURE WITH ME. That would seem stalkerish. (although I did kinda stalk Nigel). So I had an idea. Patricia went ahead to the back but I knew Jewlie would want a picture with Nik too. So I ran ahead like I was in a hurry and went "come on girl catch up!" and then looked to first make sure it was Nik and then go "OMG! are you Nik from america's next top model" and she was like yeah. So I asked her if she could take a picture with us.

She was sooooo sweet. She told her group of friends to go ahead while she took a picture with us and when Jewlie's flash didn't work she waited for us to fix it to take a really good one. It was so nice of her.




Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket






Well then we went around back and met up with the other girls and caught up with Lindsey (she interns at fashion week and got us the tickets). I took a taxi home with her because I'm scared of the subway at night and basically came back and grabbed a not so yummy (cold) dinner from the dining hall and just ended up here!

New Upcoming Events:

Also on Wednesday I'm going by this really cool photo gallery near Washington Square just to go for art's sake. It also housing's Marilyn Monroe's last sitting before she died and tons and tons and tons of famous pop culture pictures. I'm really excited. It's called Stanley Wise.

stanleywise.com

Perhaps coming to a big casting call for NBC on the 13th of Oct.

Doing the 24 hour theatre project (write, direct and act a piece you write in 24hrs in 24hrs) on the 26-27 (you stay up all night).


2 comments:

Alabama Aunt said...

Kay Kay - You girls look marvelous...please find out where your girlfriend purchased her houndstooth shirt - I MUST have one!
Love - love and kisses

Chuck said...

I want to be there--Mom