Tuesday, September 4, 2007

First Day of Studio



So I had breakfast with Sophie and another drama gal this morning at our now open dining hall (more like a mini cafeteria). But it's super nice. Really clean and stuff. They had free bagels in the courtyard but I wanted a real breakfast. There was french toast, potatoes, omelletes, sausage, bacon, etc etc. Two waffle makers (regular and chocolate) and tons of sugary yummy things and cereal. And then of course bagels. And bananas and apples. It's like the perfect breakfast place for me.




Then we all headed over to the student center for the drama oreintation. It was two hours of boring speeches, empty advice, seeing the heads of the departments/studios/staff etc etc.




We also had an alumni speaker. She graduated from the Atlantic studio when it was just starting out. Kristen Johnston. She was in 3rd Rock from the Sun, Austin Powers, Music and Lyrics, the Flinestones Viva Rock vegas, and lotsa other stuff including some really awesome theatre like Shakespeare in the Park and other stuff. She is right now doing a show for Atlantic called Scarcity that I'm trying to be able to see. I actually happened to walk right by her as she got on the elevator with the Drama head and I said she gave a great speech and she said thank you. She's really full of energy and a very comedic aura.
Then I went by a church for a little bit and eat lunch at my dorm. Then off to Adler via Broadway and walked with a guy I met during welcome week. I found out my schedule and my group (B, which Rafie is in, a kid from my mentor group and that's pretty chill that I like being around) and we took a very exhausting but lighthearted movement class. Then improv in which we played theatre games. It was fun. In the movement class that teacher chose me to be her example person so I had to stand in front of everyone so she could demonstrate partner work and that was a bit awkward. In the second class I did two of the exercises and that was cool. I met a lot of really fun people and so not so fun. Some were really stuck up and some you know that they were like the diva of their high school and are know it alls. I hope the fourteen kids in my group aren't like that.
Anywho I do a monologue for the scenestudy class which is either this friday or sometime next week. I really didn't like the one I was planning to do but I remembered one I did for one act auditions that I felt was right for this occasion so I'm doing that.
Before I left I signed up for the shows and their times that I wanted to see during the Harold Clurman Festival. I made sure that Alyson and I (she was another girl in my mentor group) were at some events together.
Then I walked back (a shorter route I found) and ate dinner with Kelly, Sophie, Patricia, and Fabi.
This is a site with some of reviews of my teacher of my writing class. She's supposed to be awfully hard and never grades above a C.
The reviews on my theatre studies teacher are pretty good. They say she really cares about her students. Has a werid way of teaching. Demands a lot of work. And classes involve lots of open disscusions and she loves people to be involved.

No comments: